Wednesday, August 16, 2006

KISS

We'll today I chose not to use kGTD that I've used in the last few months. I kinda like kGTD but the problem is that a) it still is kind of buggy, b) it might be too much distraction for me.

I've got to face reality in that it doesn't inspire me to actually go and do stuff. It's too distracting with the fancy button and all. Plus I get to move my stuff around endlessly by assigning different contexts and projects so... no good. At least for now.

I just wrote them down on a page in my moleskine [no reason not do things in style, right?] and got of to a good start of the day.

Again the moto of the day is NOT to think too much. KISS, [Keep It Simple, Stupid!]Just get to stage where I can act without thinking. That is why I procrastinate a lot. I think to much. Always doubting, always finding things to improve. Just plain horrible. When I get myself to a deadline under tremendous pressure to actually produce the goods, I kind of force myself not to think or tinker too much. The abensce of time has taken that luxery away from me.

All procrastinators think they preform better under stress, and to a degree that is true. But we have to understand why that is. It is because the pressure automatically focusses us on what needs to be done. However as a self employed that doesn't work. Since I assign my own deadlines I can also shift them. So does that mean that procrastinators cannot employ themselves?

Well to a degree, yes. Procrastinators are horrible in self rule /discipline, whatever you want to name it. So in order to succeed as a self employed I have to overcome my procrastination habbit. So what if my correspondence isn't up to my usual quality, at least I've communicated, which is infinately better then pondering the right tone over and over again.

As mentioned I currently use a varity of tools to create a distraction free enviroment on my mac. VirtueDesktops kind of does the trick but it is either buggy or I don't understand the program. Let's assume that I do, since I've never had a problem with understanding apps, so it is buggy. But it still helps to get the job done. A seperate desktop in sort of full screen mode is nice and it does help focussing on getting the job done.

Writeroom is an other app that I've tried. Not sure yet on that one. I've written a couple of letters but when I exported the text to a .doc file and opened in Word this morning to print the margins got all fucked up. Since I don't like Word, way to complex for me, I ended up re-typing them. Pasting caused the same problem. Instead of tinkering forever to get it working right, I just re-typed. Very proud of myself and letters are all in the mail.

However I have made a mental note to find a different word processor or to try and master Word. Word just is way and way too complex and it distracts a lot. At least for me, and at least for now. Will give Writeroom one more try later tonight on a serious whitepaper I need to write and then print /store via Word. TextEdit might be a good replacement for what I'm doing or TextWrangler. We'll see, trying to keep it simple here.

Several other chores that I've postponed forever are now done, so on to the more important tasks that I've been putting off. I'll let you know how that turns out.

No comments: